Skip to Search
Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content

University of Connecticut Office of the Registrar


Accessing Grades

Grades are not mailed. Students are able to access their final grades by logging to the Student Administration System and link to Student Center Help to navigate to your self service information. Click a task to launch the associated help page.  Students may log on with their NetIDs and passwords and view grades for courses once they've been posted.

Grade Point Formula

Grade points for courses graded A-F are the product of the course credits and the points per credit for the grade earned. For example, given a B- for a 3-credit course, points earned for the course are 8.1 (2.7 x 3). For any period, the total grade points for the courses graded A-F divided by the total credits give the grade point average. The term GPA includes all courses graded A-F in a semester or summer session. The cumulative GPA averages all courses graded A-F.

If a student repeats a course that may not be repeated for credit, the Registrar records the grades for both attempts. If the repeat occurred prior to Summer Session 2002, both attempts are included in the GPA calculations. If the repeat occured after Spring 2002, only the second attempt is included in the GPA calculations although both grades appear on the transcript. The student should note that when a lower grade is earned on the second attempt, that lower grade is the one that is used in the calculations.

Students withdrawing from a full-year course at the close of the first semester will, if they have passed the first part of the course, receive credit for the work of the first semester, unless the course description states otherwise.

For a complete table of grades and their point values, link here:  Undergraduate Catalog - Grade Points

Incorrect Grade

The Office of the Registrar can confirm for you the grade that the instructor recorded.  If you believe the grade is incorrect, contact the instructor. 

Non-degree Credits

You should see the Dean of the school in which you are enrolled who will make a decision regarding which courses will be accepted.  The Registrar's Office will then be notified in writing specifying which courses have been allowed.

Parents and Students' Grades

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA") set forth the standards for privacy and access to student education records.  Under FERPA, access and rights in accordance with post-secondary education records are exercised by the student. Unless information from a student's education record falls under a specified exception, the information cannot be released to third parties (including parents) without a signed and dated consent from the student.

FERPA allows - but does not require - schools to disclose student information to the student's parents if the student is a dependent child for tax purposes. The decision on whether to grant such parental access is a matter of individual policy for each University.

In the absence of certain exceptional circumstances, it is the position of the University of Connecticut to provide access only to the respective student and any specific party that has obtained the consent of the student. The University regards this position as appropriate and consistent within the relationship that exists between the student and the University.

Students must follow a specific procedure before the University will release their grades to parents. First, students must complete and sign the Student FERPA Release Form. Parents must send the signed form, along with a request for grades, to the Registrar. As the University does not maintain copies of the Student Release on file, a separate Student Release must accompany each request. If parents anticipate that they will request grades on more than one occasion, they are encouraged to make several copies of the original; photocopied duplicates will be accepted.

Pass/Fail Option

Repeating a Course to Raise the Grade

Any student who is regularly registered for courses and who satisfies the requirements shall receive credit except that no student shall receive credit for the same course twice, unless it is specifically so stated as in a variable content course. Courses with the same number that cover the same course content cannot be counted more than once for credit. The parenthetical phrases (Formerly offered as...) and (Also offered as...) that follow a course title as a cross reference indicate that a student may not take both the course and the cross-referenced course. A student is regularly registered for a course only if he or she has conformed to all university or college regulations or requirements applying to registration for the course.

A student may repeat a course previously taken one time without seeking permission in order to earn a higher grade. The student may take the course a third time with the permission of the dean of the school or college in which the student is enrolled and the instructor of the course. Under no circumstances may a student take a course more than three times.

When a student repeats a course, credit shall be allowed only once. Furthermore, in the computation of the grade point average, the registered credit and grade points for the most recent taking of the course shall be included in the GPA calculation and the registered credit and grade for the prior taking of the course shall remain on the transcript, but shall be removed from the GPA calculation.

The student should note that repeating a course that was previously passed can have negative consequences. For example, if a student fails a class previously passed, the student would lose credit for the first, passed, attempt and not earn credit for the second, failed, attempt. Repeating a previously passed course may also have an effect on financial aid. Students considering repeating previously passed courses should consult their advisors and Student Financial Aid Services staff.

When a student repeats a course after receiving a degree, the student’s transcript will indicate a grade, but no registered credit, for the repeated course. The grade and registered credit recorded for the course prior to receipt of the degree shall continue to be included in the GPA and credit calculations.

A student must have department head permission to repeat a course that is listed as a prerequisite or corequisite for any course that the student has passed. For example, a student who received a D in Chemistry 1127Q and subsequently passed Chemistry 1128Q may not retake Chemistry 1127Q without permission.

S and U Grades

In a few courses, with the permission of the Senate Committee, the instructor grades everyone in the course either S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory). As these grades have no grade-points they do not affect grade-point averages. Courses graded S/U may not be used to satisfy the General Education Requirements.

Temporary Grades - I, N, or X

Ordinarily, an incomplete, absent, or no show will become an F, three weeks into the next registered semester.

  • I Grade The instructor reports an I if the completed work is passing and the instructor decides that, due to unusual circumstances, the student cannot complete the course assignments. If the student completes the work by the end of the third week of the next, registered semester, the instructor will send the Registrar a grade for the course. Otherwise, the Registrar will convert the I to IF. Effective with spring 2004 classes, upon successful completion of a course, the I on the academic record is placed by the permanent letter grade.  If the instructor does not submit a grade the Registrar will change the grade to IF or IU.

  • N Grade An N grade is recorded when no grade is reported for a student who has been registered in a course section.  It usually indicates a registration problem.

    To resolve this problem  you must see the instructor who may submit a letter stating that you never attended the class.  The Dean of the school in which you are enrolled must approve a late drop. N grades are replaced on the academic record by the actual grade when submitted by the instructor. 

    An N mark which remains unresolved will become "NF" and be computed as an "F" at the end of the third week of the next semester of registration.

  • X Grade The instructor reports an X only when a student missed the final examination and when passing it with a high mark could have given the student a passing grade for the course. If the student would have failed the course regardless of the grade on the final examination, the student will receive an F. If the instructor reports an X and the Department of Student Affairs excuses the absence, the instructor will give the student another opportunity to take the examination . The absence must be due to sickness or other unavoidable causes. The instructor must give the examination before the end of the third week of the next, registered semester.  If by the end of the third week of the next, registered semester the instructor does not send a grade to the Registrar, the Registrar will change the X to X F or X U.

    In exceptional instances, after consulting the instructor, the Office of Student Services and Advocacy may extend the time for completing courses marked I or X.


Last updated 8/26/13