Steps to a Successful Graduation
Download a printable Word document containing this information: Steps to a Successful Graduation
Apply to graduate - You should apply to graduate the semester prior to graduation or by the fourth week of your final semester. You apply by logging into the Student Administration System and following this navigational path:
Self Service > Degree Progress/Graduation > Apply for Graduation
Check your Degree Name and Diploma Address – Through the Student Administration System, please confirm that your name is spelled the way you would like it to appear on your diploma. Check to make sure the address listed in the system is the one you would like your diploma mailed to. This can be done by navigating the following path:
Self Service > Campus Personal Information > Names (or Addresses)
To change your diploma name, click Add Name under the Names navigational path. From the drop-down box, choose Degree Name and save. Under the Addresses navigational path, click Add a new address. After entering your correct address, check the “ Dipl Addr” box under Address Types and save. Diplomas will be mailed approximately two months after graduation.
- Submit a final approved Plan of Study - Plans of Study for majors and minors can be located in each Department's main office. Be sure to fill out the plan(s) for your particular catalog year. Your plan(s) must be submitted within the first four weeks of the semester you intend to graduate. Retain a copy for yourself in case a problem should arise. (Pharm/Pharm D and Nursing majors are exempt from submitting major plans of study to Degree Audit).
- Run your own Degree Progress Report - Through the Student Administration System, students can access their transcripts and view both fulfilled and unfulfilled requirements. Any areas that remain unfulfilled will appear bold. This will aid you in adequately planning your course schedule for the upcoming semesters.
- Check your HuskyMail account - The University of Connecticut is depending more and more on communicating with students via their HuskyMail accounts. You will receive an email from Degree Audit confirming your graduation status soon after both your plan of study and diploma application are received.
- Address questions or concerns promptly - We are located in the Office of the Registrar in the Wilbur Cross Building. Our doors are open Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and by phone we can be reached at 486-6214 to address any questions or concerns.
- Commencement Details- If you are taking an Intersession course you should apply for the May graduation ceremony as you will officially be a May graduate. If you are taking summer courses you must apply for August graduation but may attend the May ceremony. Students who have properly followed the above steps will receive information about commencement via email/mail.
Questions regarding any of these topics can be answered by the staff of Degree Auditors at the Office of the Registrar, phone (860) 486-6214.
Last updated 4/1/10